NEW: DVR Server + Tailscale integration, for easier Away from Home access (Experimental)

I'm trying this out on a "test" DVR instance. I already have another DVR instance running on the same account with remote access enabled. On the "test" Tailscale DVR the webui shows that is it constantly trying to request a LetsEncrypt certificate, can this be ignored or is possibly trying to override the existing SSL certificate for my account?

Is there an error? It should be able to get a cert. Each DVR gets its own copy of the cert

It eventually finished. I guess there is no issue with 2 DVR's having the same cert since the cert is issued to the domain and not the IP correct? The only conflict would be if both DVR's had ports forwarded?

This is fantastic timing, just got a T-Mobile Home Internet yesterday. But this topic was hard for me to find until I switched to sort by date.

I have it working on my Android phone, I'll just have to figure out how to install it on my Fire Stick device in my trailer. Fortunately I have a Fire device here at home, but Tailscale does not seem to be in the Amazon library.

BTW, in the trailer I connect via multiple hotspots, so I'm going to guess that this will mean I'll have to authenticate a lot less since Channels won't see the different connection, and instead just the tailscale IP address.

2 Likes

I just realized we also take a Windows computer with us with some downloaded content, just in case. I can just set that up with Tailscale now so that it's all setup just in case I have issues with the Fire Stick.

Link broken to the downloader?

2 Likes

Tailscale | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

2 Likes

Have a dumb question.

Ive been migrating to t-mobile CGNAT..
Ive got tailscale working perfectly for remote access.
I have a double NAT situation (old router behind the tmobile trash can)

I have a tailscale ip for BOTH my mac mini, as well as channels DVR server using the integration tool.

At home I run my mac mini headless as a server, with channels dvr.

Im used to accessing the web administration tools on my local network. Ive been using the my.channelsdvr.net addtress, but i think its blocked because there is no port forwarding.

1: can someone confirm the my.channelsdvr.net will be trashed in my use case because of the CGNAT. As a sanity check please.. I think thats what it is going on, and im new the double NAT stuff and learning.

if i run a web browser on my mac mini and use the 127.0.0.1:8089/admin/settings I can get to the administration webUI.

2: How do i run the adminsitration web interface on my local network, but on a different machine’s web browser (im using my iPad for this)

3: i tried using both the 127…. and my tailscale ip addresses to get to the webui to no avail.

Otherwise im having very good luck when away from home using tailscale with channels.

On your iPad browser try using the dvr ip (Mac mini)
http://ser.ver.ip.xxx:8089/admin/settings
You can find the ip on the app under settings

1 Like

Thank you! Your awesome.
Works great!

1 Like

And if you want to access it remotely, install the tailscale client on your iPad/iPhone.
Then on your iPad/iPhone browser use the tailnet ip of your DVR, without the port :8089
http://tail.net.ip.xxx/admin/settings

1 Like

Thanks and it works.

Don’t forget to enable the Tailscale dvr in channels settings though. I had disabled it

1 Like

@tmm1 @eric @maddox

I had a bunch of crashes on the beta iOS client and submitted diagnostics.

I was trying to switch connecting with my Mac mini Tailscale ip verses the integrated channels dvr ip address.

I inadvertently had not enabled the integrated Tailscale ip and was switching between both those when i had a bunch of crashes.

2 Likes

Any chance of getting the Android client to use the "Internet Streaming" profile when using the Tailscale client over Wifi? (Currently it recognizes it as "Home" based on the checkmark)

2 Likes

You have to change the home bitrate in settings.

1 Like

Right, I understand that - but I'm asking if this can be fixed in the android client (buying time until the team is able to work on integrating Tailscale into the Channels app in the same manner as iOS)

1 Like

Cool command - ./tailscale status --web --listen 0.0.0.0:8384 but when I run it on my channel server (pi based) - I see nothing..

It seems like tailscale is running but a separate instance that support the dvr server.. If I run tailscale status it says logged out...

Yes tailscale is running - accessible and all that...

How do I enable tailscale web access for the instance that is supporting the channels server?

You can see yourself in the screenshot

I can't speak for the channel server tailscale implementation as I run the web server on my Unraid server's tailscale docker instance. Perhaps that feature is not enabled in the channel version?

1 Like

I need remedial help. I enabled tailscale on my remote DVR server running on a Windows machine. I am using an AppleTV as my local client running a beta version of the tvOS software. How do I switch from my local server to my remote server running tailscale? Should Bonjour be enabled on the remote DVR that is running tailscale (currently it is disabled)?

1 Like