OliveTin for Channels: An Interface for Misc Channels DVR Scripts & Tricks

So you'll need another one of those container paths, like you defined for /config, but this one needs to be to /mnt/10.1.1.201-8089 and you'd be mapping it to /mnt/user/DVR/channels-dvr/dvr I would think. Check that path exists, and contains folders similar to my screenshot above.

Nope, same error. No worries I will play with it later and try to figure it out.
Thanks to both of you for helping me.

You don't need the DVR_SHARE environment variable the way you're doing it. Just add that second "Container Path".

What's your latest annotated docker compose?
Could you put it in the original post? Sorry, I see now it's already in the first post.
I'll install portainer on my Synology (should only take a minute) to play around with it.
Took less than a minute.

I just updated it with a couple of minor changes (that were in other feature-specific threads), plus I added the static-file-server container to allow hosting various files (e.g. Plex M3U/XML) from a local URL, for use in Custom Channels sources.

1 Like

Just pushed a new bnhf/olivetin:latest (aka bnhf/olivetin:2024.02.10) that includes the following:

@bnhf - I just pulled the latest and decided to try the channel lineup change notifications and set it up for sms notification on my t-mobile gateway. I was just wondering if this stdout means everything is normal and that the monitor is running fine.

No that error would suggest you didn't supply the e-mail address and password required for this type of SMS message, which uses "SMS gateways" to send texts via SMTP:

So, if you didn't, you'd want to supply your gmail address and the app specific password you created previously. Then, I'm pretty sure your phone number needs to be in the format shown in Wikipedia, based on your carrier.

OK. That makes more sense. I checked that the gateway worked (I'm using T-Mobile) by sending an email from my mail account and that worked. I assumed that I did not need to specify the email info. My feeble brain thought that the email sending part happened magically inside of olive-tin somehow.

Anyhoo, it's working now with stdout showing my baseline lineup. Just waiting for the lineup to change someday before I get a text msg.

Thanks for these collection of utilities. I use it all the time.

Keep in mind that the text message will be short by design and won't contain the details of the lineup changes.

In order to get the details of the changes, you can also select the option for email notification, and/or check the stdout console and/or the log file. :wink:

@bnhf as a manual user, do you have write permissions on the files in /config?

I just noticed that my default settings are not remembered once I go back in and make a change to channel lineup change notifications. The other utilities do this @bnhf.

Big news for a small project -- OliveTin-for-Channels reaches the 1000 download mark!

:partying_face: :tada: :piñata: :mirror_ball::

1 Like

Congratulations! :partying_face:

As soon as I can get focused on it, I will add one more download. :slight_smile:

OliveTin scout here :slight_smile: I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned before but perhaps this lesser-known tip warrants inclusion in OliveTin, either as an informational snippet, or the basis for a plugin that helps us customize our channel logos? Unless there’s a better way…

Regardless, kudos to @kennyb3653 for sharing it!

1 Like

That would be awesome. For what it is worth, I did use OliveTin, using the "Generate a Channels DVR
M3U Playlist" button. I took the generated playlist from the logs, pulling out and using only the six channels I needed. I did only minor tweaks then to each one, before putting them as a "Logos" source. For example, one channel came in the OliveTin log like this:

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="abc-wmar" tvg-id="5985" tvg-chno="5985" tvg-logo="https://tmsimg.fancybits.co/assets/s28708_h3_aa.png?w=360&h=270" tvc-guide-stationid="21230" tvg-name="WMARDT" group-title="HD",ABC
http://192.168.7.180:8089/devices/ANY/channels/5985/hls/master.m3u8?

All I did was replace the part after "tvg-logo" with a link to my logo, and deleted the m3u8 address at the end. So the end result was something like this:

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="abc-wmar" tvg-id="5985" tvg-chno="5985" tvg-logo="http://www.mywebsite.com/images/tvlogos/wmar.png?w=360&h=270" tvc-guide-stationid="21230" tvg-name="WMARDT" group-title="HD",ABC
1 Like

I've been noodling this around for the last couple of days, and here's an approach that I think could be good:

• Create a "Channel Collection" that contains the channels for which you'd like to use custom logos

• Collect the custom logos you'd like to use and name them with their Channels DVR "tvg-id"

• Upload those logos using the existing DVR - Manage - Images feature of Channels DVR

• Use the "Generate a Channels DVR M3U Playlist" OliveTin Action, with the collection name you chose and a filter of "logos".

• This will generate an M3U that will contain just the channels who's logos you want to override, and will have those logos set to the matching logo name from those uploaded images.

• This M3U can be used via copy-and-paste, or can also be made available on a URL via the OliveTin companion static-file-server container

How does that process flow sound @Fofer and @cyberskier?

2 Likes

I would have to test it. I just output all my channels from OliveTin, pulled out the ones I wanted and put those into their own custom channel (so copy and paste), and deleted the last line, which was the m3u8 link, if I recall. I then uploaded the logos to my web server, and pasted the link to the logo after “ tvg-logo” for each channel.

1 Like

Sounds like a great approach to me!

@Fofer @cyberskier I've added this Custom Channel Logos "trick" to the latest build of OliveTin, bnhf/olivetin:latest and bnhf/olivetin:2024.02.21.

The process is as described a couple of posts back, with much more detail and screenshots to be found here:

1 Like