OliveTin for Channels: An Interface for Misc Channels DVR Scripts & Tricks

An even better idea! So, an OliveTin script would monitor for any changes in lineup to one or more predefined Channel Collections. And then, add or delete those channels from the collection.

The flow then would be more like, every x hours read the contents of collection x, and add/delete lineup changes identified since the last script run.

Well, my original idea was to just create the “smart” Channel Collection, following the quoted tip, so that Collection always stays up to date without any other processes or manual steps required. However then it does show every channel on that source and you can’t manually customize the sort order. Still, this is good enough for my needs.

If you handle it via script and the old Channel Collection is deleted and a new one is created then you would also want to replace it in the Client-side settings so it’s available on TV.

I do like the idea of a simple Channel Collection that would be called “Recent Channel Additions” though! What a great way to discover them as they are introduced!

I guess I'm not tracking on how OliveTIn would factor in then. Are you saying this already possible using the quoted tip? What are you hoping OliveTin would bring to the party?

Agreed. Great idea!

Sorry, I'm answering for @Fofer: No. But this is half of the solution.

In my opinion: there is currently no way to modify/maintain channel collections automatically (besides the official smart collection feature in Channels already, but that's different.)

That's where OliveTin comes in.

I have a couple of ideas in my head to discuss with you, @bnhf, because I don't know how it works internally in OliveTin so your expertise is needed.

I have a few things to do for the rest of the day. I will come back a little bit later this evening to write down my thoughts.

Six weeks after passing the 3000 downloads mark, OliveTin-for-Channels rockets past 4000 downloads! Are we entering an era of a more Docker-savvy Channels user? :slight_smile:

Best regards to all that use OliveTin-for-Channels and Project One-Click!

3 Likes

New bnhf/olivetin:latest (aka bnhf/olivetin:2024.09.12) pushed with Project One-Click support for:

I just noticed I am not pulling in any Samsung Channels. Do I need to remove the install and have OT Reinstall it or can I make a manual change in my sources?

You can do either. This container has a couple of new env vars that need to be provided:

If you do it manually, stop the Portainer stack, and paste in the new compose:

version: '3.9'
services:
  # 2024.08.31
  # GitHub home for this project: https://github.com/matthuisman/samsung-tvplus-for-channels
  # Docker Hub home for this project: https://hub.docker.com/r/matthuisman/samsung-tvplus-for-channels
  samsung-tvplus-for-channels:
    image: matthuisman/samsung-tvplus-for-channels:${TAG}
    container_name: samsung-tvplus-for-channels
    ports:
      - ${HOST_PORT}:80 # Use the same port number the container is using, or optionally change it if the port is already in use on your host
    environment:
      - REGIONS=${REGIONS} # Comma separated list of regions to use. us,kr,it,in,gb,fr,es,de,ch,ca,at or all supported.
      - TZ=${TZ} # Add your local timezone in standard linux format. E.G. US/Eastern, US/Central, US/Mountain, US/Pacific, etc
    restart: unless-stopped

The modify your env vars to include the two new ones:

TAG=latest
HOST_PORT=8182
REGIONS=us
TZ=US/Mountain

New bnhf/olivetin:latest (aka bnhf/olivetin:2024.09.13) pushed this morning, with Project One-Click support for latest version of EPlusTV. This includes creating custom channel sources for the defined sporting events, plus a second source for the new linear channels (if enabled). More details here:

I’ve enjoyed the popular FAST providers (Pluto, Plex, SamsungTV+ and Tubi) in CDVR for years now but prior to that tip it had been a manual chore to have an up-to-date Channels Collection for each provider in our guide. Every couple of weeks I’d go in and check to see what’s new and manually update / sort. With the “automatic channels excluding every source but this one, including just the airings have a space as keyword, in other words, catch everything” that tedious chore is no longer necessary but it is also not the easiest thing to explain to a brand new user. So my initial thought was that — OliveTin and Project One-Click are so great. Especially for new users looking to expand their sources in Channels DVR without having a lot of technical history with these ingredients. And for example, when Project One Click first creates the docker for Pluto, just like it automatically adds it as a Custom Channels source to CDVR, wouldn’t it be cool if it gave the option to also create a Channel Collection for it, that is always dynamically kept up to date? It’s a much better of a way to set up the “complete” guide than manual maintenance so I figured the more people that know about it, the better. I wish I’d known about it sooner! So that was my suggestion here. Even just including it as a “tip” similar to the Bookmarklet, would be a welcome addition. From my perspective it’s all about sharing ways to make it easy for new users to supercharge their CDVR management.

Then after that I thought, as a separate functionality, if OliveTin could help with discoverability. Because with the dynamic updating of the Collection now, we might not even know new channels have arrived. They are buried in lists hundreds deep. I appreciate the email updates OliveTin can manage but it’s not the same as seeing it when on the couch, looking at the UI on TV.

So if OliveTin could create a Channel Collection called “New,” (or “Recent Adds,” or “Recent Additions”) with the user being able to choose which source(s) are being tracked, that would be a majorly cool solution for anyone enjoying these FAST channels with hundreds of channels and new ones arriving all the time. It would put all of our recent additions from one, some or all pre-selected sources and then we could just browse in that Channel Collection from time to time to see “what’s new.”

I see this discussion forked off and I appreciate and applaud all of your efforts here. Amazing stuff!

2 Likes

Your inputs and ideas are greatly appreciated, @Fofer. :smiley:

Please see this thread to contribute to and/or follow the progression of the project:

I love your idea of the recently added channels and I want it so it will happen. I will be working on it but if somebody beats me to it, that's perfectly fine. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m having trouble accessing the Olive Tin page after deploying the stack. The page doesn’t exist at https://10.0.0.37:1337. I’m using Docker via Portainer on Synology. Channels is running locally on the same server (not in Docker). I’m sure it’s probably an environmental variable that isn’t set correctly. Logs from the container are below. Any suggestions?

Stack environmental variables:

The OliveTin URL is http:// not https://

Also:

Leave CHANNELS_DVR2_HOST and CHANNELS_DVR2_PORT empty if you don't have another CDVR server you want to use OliveTin with.

Otherwise, things look good.

Got it. I mistakenly heard https in the demo video. The DVR2 lines are commented out in the compose, so it isn’t looking at them. Thanks!

Works great. I don't believe you need to ask for the mlb.tv username and password now as it authenticates like the other applications now as well.

1 Like

New bnhf/olivetin:latest (aka bnhf/olivetin:2024.09.16) pushed with new Project One-Click support for creating docker-based Channels DVR servers.

This can be used for a primary CDVR server, secondary special purpose CDVR servers -- or just to spin one up to experiment on something where you'd prefer not to use your "production" server. Up to 11 servers can be created, with host or bridge networking, and support for Intel Quick Sync transcoding. Your DVR recordings directory can be set to be local, or a network share:

I am hosting Channels on a Synology NAS. What version of OliveTin do I need to install? Any special installation instructions to be aware of?

You'll need to install Portainer -- and, I believe there are several online guides for doing that on Synology. No special version of OliveTin, which is one of the beauties of Docker, as the idea is to be cross-platform.

One unique thing about Synology, is that any directories that need to be created when deploying a Docker container need to be created prior to deploying the container, or deployment will fail. Other than that, it's pretty standard.

@bnhf Is it possible creating a way like you have it for manual recordings but be for schedule recordings. For example, Dallas Stars went to streaming only on Victory Plus. I have a script setup in Home Assistant to open the app and start to play but I haven't found a way to automate the schedule of the games. Like if I had all the dates that they were playing I could input them in or pull from a set of data like a Google Sheet or something but just an easier way of automating recordings that don't have guide data. Thanks!

Since the games would be at various times on an irregular set of days, it's not like we could just setup a schedule to record every Monday at 8:00pm, right?

I wonder if you could create a custom channel source, that would be just be a channel for the Dallas Stars, and then simply provide your own XML guide data -- which probably could be done with a Google Sheet, although there are likely more elegant ways. That way, a CDVR recording pass could be set up as usual.

OliveTin has a built-in static file server which could host such an XML file locally on your LAN, and be used in a custom channel source.