PBS Kids now DRM?

Looks like it

1 Like

Not sure, but the live stream on their site loads fine after a 30 sec add about the PBS kids app. But only in FireFox. I just get spinning circle in Chrome.

The OTA channel is working fine, no DRM...yet. (ATSC 3.0 just launched in my area) and TPT/PBS was down/temp antenna for the last several weeks as they upgrade their antenna.

The site streams for me in Edge and Firefox, but gives an error using Brave.
Using Network Inspector in Firefox is what lead me to ask the question.

PBS Kids 3.5 is still working for me in my area.

1 Like

Thats OTA channel, this thread is about the TVE channel, 6777. Does that channel work for you?

I added the below to Chrome Capture for Channels and it seems like a viable workaround for me!

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="PBS Kids",PBS Kids
chrome://localhost:5589/stream?url=https://pbskids.org/videos/watch/live

NOTE: Edited April 2024 due to update live stream link.

They keep trying to screw us with DRM, and we keep getting around them!

2 Likes

Just noticed that PBS Kids is now available on Samsung TV+, and it looks like the same feed as the guide data matches. It won't connect right now, but hopefully a temporary issue with the provider as @matthuisman has mentioned in the past, otherwise hopefully something they can fix.

1 Like

oh. i forgot about the docker container.
The app.json now contains all Widevine channels as well.
But those wont play in Channels.
Ill need to update the docker container to ignore them

1 Like

I have one pbs kids that doesn't work but I have a bunch so no worries. It's using sample-aes encryption and I can't get past it. Actually ATM I have 26 channels on Samsung TV that are using it out of like 2000 channels no worries except I hope this isn't the beginning of them encrypting more or all same way. If you know of a player that supports sample-aes it would be great. The PBS list on i.mjh.nz uses widevine which for some odd reason channels doesn't support but ott navigator and tivimate do. And Both Work Beautifully with channels on a local network or connect through tailscale to use either remotely without needing a token and they are very stable and everything is customizable. I'm really liking ott navigator but it doesn't support recording, tivimate does and I set it up to record directly to and playback direct from Google cloud account... Real nice

Oh, well, even without the Docker container, it would be the same situation if using the direct links on i.mjh.nz. I'm wondering, then, if its possible to tag those stations as DRM so that Channels can recognize that and automatically hide them, like it does the ATSC 3.0 stations from HDHR?

In any case, I retract my last post and revert back to recommending Chrome Capture for Channels for getting PBS Kids!

I was first looking at this way too early in the morning and kept reading it as "simple-ass encryption and I can get past it" and was like, "How? Tell me!" :crazy_face:

my m3u8 playlists ignore channels that need Widevine so only the app.json on i.mjh.nz has the widevine channels

1 Like

new docker container pushed that will ignore the drm channels

1 Like