PREVIEW: Library Collections and Virtual Channels (v2021.07.16.2141)

I’ll test it tonight! Thanks

Edit: @maddox seems like it’s fixed! Thanks again.

But while I’m here, I’ve also been playing around with the other collection I had issues with custom sorting, and it seems to only affect the 8th item in the collection and onwards. Trying to custom sort among the first 7 items is totally fine. I observe this in the “ Marvel Cinematic Universe (Timeline Order)” collection.

Could we get an option to have collections as a "sidebar" item? I'm mostly using the feature to have separate "dvr's" for me, the wife, and the kid (using labels and tags). It would be nice to have it as it's own option so you don't have to scroll through other library stuff to get to the collections option (at least in my case). It works really well, just cumbersome to get to.

2 Likes

We have plans.

For kids, you should check out the Kids Section.

2 Likes

I've been waiting for something like this too. It would make finding programs so much easier. No longer would I have to sort through all my wife's programs to find the ones I like. The implementation of labels and smart collections is genius, but we just need a better way to access it on the app side.

2 Likes

We have plans.

6 Likes

I've had an issue with a couple of files that have audio playing, but no video. I'm on the latest app, and the latest pre-release. The playback quality at home is set to Original, and no video, only audio... but if I change it to 8 mbps, then I have video and everything is fine. This appears to have only happened within the last few days. Thanks!

1. Please submit diagnostics in the app after playback like that happen.
  2. Does the same thing happen when you play them back normally from your library? Or just when it's in a Virtual Channel?
  3. Please visit the content in your Channels DVR Server web admin and find the View Details option. Please copy that and provide it as well.

Thanks! It does the same thing in the library, I didn’t try that. I have submitted the diagnostics in the app after I played it in the library. Below are the file details. It’s a bond movie.

Duration
2 hrs 11 min

Bit Rate
5,395,677 bits/sec

File Size
5,294,519,725 bytes

File ID

Streaming Index
Out of date

Track #0: AAC (Advanced Audio Coding)
stereo eng 126.597kbps

Track #1: ATSC A/52A (AC-3)
5.1(side) eng 384kbps

Track #2: AAC (Advanced Audio Coding)
stereo fra 126.612kbps

Track #3: AAC (Advanced Audio Coding)
stereo spa 126.921kbps

Track #4: H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10
1920x816 40:17 yuv420p 23.98fps

Track #5: MOV text
eng

Track #6: MOV text
fra

Track #7: MOV text
fra

Track #8: MOV text
spa

Track #9: MOV text
spa

Track #10: MOV text
eng

Track #11: MOV text
por

Track #12: EIA-608 closed captions
eng

Track #13: Motion JPEG
667x1000 667:1000 yuvj420p unknown fps

Track #14: binary data
und

Also, forgot to add that it was working correctly, this was not the first time playing. I watched in the virtual channel earlier in the day.

Are they in the Android Beta app?

They are not in the app at all.

:sob:

Hey Maddox I just want to say thanks, I really like your program. It’s fast and fairly reliable sometimes it sticks but that could be the DVR.
I had Plex and it was so slow and a resource hog so thanks again

1 Like

is there a way to select all of the content while trying to create a movie or tv show collection instead of selecting the content one by one.

I've got 7 or 8 virtual channels that I set up for my wife and they are all she watches anymore. Ever so often one of the channels (which is just a channel with murder she wrote episodes only) will stop populating the guide. Basically the guide says murder she wrote and list no episodes, just a single program that stretches for hours. I can always go reload it in the admin site but I'm curious what could cause this to happen and it only seems to happen on the one channel. I haven't seen anything in the log that would indicate an error.

I’m seeing the same thing on the guide for the virtual channel. No shows populated, just the channel name.
I haven’t got as far as you to ever have the guide for the virtual channel populate. Perhaps what we are seeing is related, or perhaps not.

I just started playing with virtual channels. I created a collection of game of thrones episodes, and a Thrones channel.

I have a plex library hierarchy organized by folder :

show name/season #/showname s0e1 , which works fine in plex,

I imported this into my channels local content on the server. On the client I noticed the metadata didn’t match the show, but the incorrectly matched shows do appear organized by seasons in the channels library. So I create the “thrones” collection anyway just to experiment. And then I created a virtual channel using the collection with the name “game of thrones channel”
All I can get working is to see the channel name, and a guid populated with “game of thrones channel” instead of episodes.

Does it take a while for the guide to refresh? I tried a manual refresh from the server. I didn’t rebuild the database.

Could the metadata mismatch have caused the guide not to populate for the newly created virtual channel? You would think the mismatched shows would still be flagged in the collection, and that would still populate the virtual channel.

I tried other shows and am having a lot of issues with metadata mismatch. Plex seems to match perfectly, but channels is having a tough time, so I haven’t been able to find the perfect test case yet to populate a virtual channel.

I have run into this problem a few days ago. I had all of the episodes playing in sequential order according to date released When I got to the last episode, the virtual channel did not go back to the beginning until I refreshed and did what you described. I am doing a test with random order - and I have quite a bit of content so I expected it to take a while. But, I think the random order refreshes daily based on what I can tell. I am almost positive I am seeing episodes twice while others not so often. This would happen if it's just a random selection of all the files, and not random until all have been scheduled and then repeat again with all selections.

So happy to see this update for the Smart Rules-based Collections! However, I noticed immediately an issue where the newly added programs did not honor the sort selection:

Is it sorted correctly in the app?

I have Android/Google TV, so can't tell (yet!).