Provider - Xfinity

Not every plan on xfinity will allow for TV everywhere, I found this out the hard way. But, with my extreme internet needs, I still found them to be most economical for the cable stations I want. I then use my antenna where most of the TV I watch comes from with channels to keep my data lower.

But, it just wasn’t to be. I needed unlimited data so I paid the extra 15/month with the xFi advanced gateway to get unlimited data. The modem/router is sub-par, but it’s cheaper than the $50 a month for unlimited without their gateway.

I’m still saving, as the TV add on is cheaper than any of the other streaming services (especially if you want my regional sports) and I prefer the channels interface over many others.

1 Like

Then these are off topic then? please remove to make u happy. i am fine with that. but confused..

edit there i set my posts as off topic, so u and other need not see them unless u click into them.

Yes, I realize using TVE-Xfinity "might" use Xfinity Internet, (or not depending on who your Internet provider is).

Guess I'll just give up and let AT&T and Verizon Internet users comment now on TVE-Xfinity.

whatever...

I was under the impression TVE was accessing the same Xfinity streaming channels the Xfinity Stream app uses. In that app there are a set of channels that are available when connected to either your home network or outside your home network. In the Xfinity Stream app those channels are referred to as TV Go. When connected to your home network, there are a duplicate set of those same channels, plus additional channels that are available. Even when you're connected to your home network, if you watch the TV Go channels the streaming data counts against your Xfinity internet data plan. If you watch the same channels, but using the in-home stream instead of the TV Go stream, the data doesn't count against your data plan.

Btw., until something like SpaceX Starlink is available, Comcast is my only internet option. Given their ridiculous data cap, it's critical that the stream TVE uses does not go against my data plan.

If u look at the other provider threads too, u will see that lots have multiple source for TVE.
There was some one with 8 TVE sources in there of late.

It does not really matter what provider credentials u use or subscribe to, they all pull from the same video data stream, direct from the network channel web stream.

There was just a post on someone having multiple tve sources and trying to sort out what ones they wanted enabled and disabled. As often, one provider will give u access to certain channels, while other do not. Xfinity and other CATV services are though tied to your level of subscription package as they have many, where YTTV or Philo only has one package.

nope. Channels TVE does not touch Xfinitys streaming service at all or any others.
only the credentials are used to log into the data stream of the network
same as u going to the network, say DIY app or site and logging in direct
( this has been stated here many time in other TVE theads and the general "what is TVE and how does it work" area FAQ)

tv go is not the same as TVE.

the line " Con: Streaming bandwidth counts against monthly data caps."
is referring to your ISP internet connection or mobile data usage cap...that u many or may not have. as a whole per month. so Xfinty is 1TB up and down of use for home. i fu watch record lots of tve, and stream other things sites service, netflix, torrents etc, u may have an issue. vs using a local tuner like a Prime to watch same channels that uses no internet data.

Not the answer I was hoping for, but thanks for clarifying!

I realize you're new here and trying to help out. Kudo's.
Thanks for the education.
Perhaps before replying to posters, you should lookup their legacy https://community.getchannels.com/u/speedingcheetah to understand where they came from.

@chDVRuser Irrelevant. As this user did not know how tve worked. and just explained it to them and they got what they needed to know so i helped, u didnt. now don't be a bad sport.
so age of user account or time here is not relevant.
u can have been here for several years but never post..

I think Xfinity offers the "Flex" device, their streaming box thing, i don't think that would count towards internet usage data. not sure if that is a portable device or has to be used on home network. maybe worth looking at perhaps? dont think it can be made to use Channls dvr though.

Thanks Son,
Was just saying you should check a User's Profile before responding to them, so you know a bit more about them before you reply to their question.

A&E - 6043
History Channel - 6044
FYI - 6045
Lifetime - 6046

Now supported via TVE starting with Server version: 2020.04.19.0128

Thanks to the finds of:

1 Like

ive been trying all say to get this setup...when I attempt to add xfinity via TVE all I get is "not in subscription". I originally thought it was cause I already have Verizon Fios set up with TVE and I also have Locale but I would think I would get a different error. I dont have separate accounts so there is no auto authenticator to turn off.

Go into your Xfinity account portal and create a separate user just for TVE use. "Unrestricted" level. and try credentials that for TVE source.

You might need to call xfinity. I had the same problem and the only solution was to call them and explain the issue. To confirm that it is indeed xfinity, try watching something on the xfinity stream app and see what it says. Mine would tell me it’s not in my subscription. They had to “reset” something on their end and it worked within seconds.

I’m sure they won’t understand if you try to explain the Channels app to them, I’d try explaining the issue with the stream app first and go from there.

I just checked and this worked with WOW as well.

WOW??

Is that a channel?.

WOW to me means world of Warcraft.

lol no its a cable tv provider, Wide open west but its a service in Columbus OH. :slight_smile:

thanks i will try this now...

Pardon the likely dumb question, but is TVE included with internet only service, or do you have to also get TV service?