Sport Program Priority Not Recorded

Its states West. Why is west Why not East. With team passes you really can't specify channels. They may air on ESPN one week and be on TNT other week and ABC the next. Seems we should be able to prioritize by channels # or East or West coast feed. But when ESPN simutanious broadcast ESPN always has the traditional broadcast unless specified in the program guide. But gracenote did not specify the diferent format for ESPN SEC

I did the same thing. Seems to me Source Priority is meaningless.

Just did a quick test.

I have an HDHR Prime as a source and picked an airing on IFC.
That source has IFC as channel 790, HD, not favorited.

I then added a lower priority M3U source with the IFC channel 3 times.
That source has IFC as channels 1090, 1190 and 1290, HD and favorited.

It's going to record from 1290.

I noticed the same in the guide prior to starting the recording. I got around it by un-favoriting SEC and leaving ESPN as a favorite. Just need to remember to favorite SEC after the game ended. But I agree, a better options should be available to choose a recording on the fly rather than having to edit passes or otherwise how I did it.

My question with priority, is what is priority in Channels. I always thought priority is the one on top or first in sequential order. The lower the number the higher priority it is. In my field that the specification.

True for tuners, but obviously not for channel numbers.
I just added the Finale episode to my pass to make sure it wasn't just a fluke.
Still in reverse order for channel numbers.

I guess perfect example here because the Finale airs before the Pilot.
Screenshot 2021-11-27 at 15-25-33 Channels Settings

Test complete.

Since I was using cable/tve style channel numbers in my test it made me wonder about OTA channel numbers.
I recreated the M#U source using OTA and Cable style channel numbers.
Favorited just the OTA channels.
It still selects the highest numbered channel (so selects channels in reverse numerical order).

Yea, I think the priority should be recording the lowest numbered channels or east streams when there are mulitple simulcast of the same game. TNT and TBS does this many times like this week with NBA. I would like ESPN to be the priority channel so when this situation occurs again at least it will be the traditional broadcast recorded. I'm gonna set my emby server up again so I can record the correct channels in the future. Emby will record all instances of live events with the same program title. If channels would record all instances of live programs on multiple channels would solve this issue. At least provide setting to allow this. A better guide data with more details of live events would also be a solution.

And who would be providing the guide data? There aren't many EPG data providers. Also, considering the reach of Gracenote/Nielson, I doubt any other provider would have quite the same amount of data. But if you have a vendor in mind, I'm curious who they might be.

Also, how much of a price increase are you expecting, considering that additional data requires additional licensing fees?

WAG, but I'm guessing the reverse order is done due to many cable systems using the "broadcast" channel (i.e. the virtual one now, but this goes back decades), or the traditional low number for cable-only channels, as the SD version for cablecards. Most would probably prefer the HD version be recorded, all things being equal.

Yes, I realize this can be managed with favorites and whatnot, but that rationale would seem to make sense.

Myself, I've gotten used to regularly manipulating the queue for recording (an edit allows you to hard code the channel number), if I'm worried about collision/lack of tuners/etc.

2 Likes

I think this is just a bug it should not matter if the Channel is high or low... It should check guide then look for HD then first favored channels then due to tuner priority and if in use move on to the next tuner. It should never start from the bottom up.

I have TVE as my last source only to be used as a last resort but it appears it can be the first one used.

My Config
Connects OTA ... Favored all Channels
Prime all channels favored ... except OTA equivalent X'd out.
TVE none favored.

This is not good based on my setup .... Notice how it Picked TNTP not TNTPHD.

@Edwin_Perez Something is wrong with your DVR.
I was unable to duplicate what you see.
Try Pausing and Resuming the pass to see if the scheduled job changes its channel order.
I left my cable TNTPHD unfavorited, then added a lower priority m3u that points to my Xfinity TVE TNTPHD.
737 Cable
6036 TVE
With both channels unfavorited it picked 737 first (higher priority tuner)
With 737 favorited it picked it first.
With 737 unfavorited and 6036 favorited it picked 6036.

P.S. need to look at scheduled jobs, not what appears in passes (sometimes that's inaccurate)
I've also noticed if you change tuner priority or favorite channels, the passes don't see the change until "tickled" by a guide update or pause/resume/edit-save the passes.

I’m guessing @hancox is correct here. If you have two channels with the exact same airing from the same source starting at the same time, and they are equal in terms of being favorited (or not) and are both HD, you have to use some kind of logic to decide which one to use. Going in reverse channel order makes as much sense as anything else, for the reasons he mentioned. Favoriting the β€œmain” channel is the only way to deal with this that I can think of, although it admittedly is not foolproof.

And I think none of this would matter if the guide data was accurate, but I digress.

There is nothing wrong with my DVR I think their logic is off. If you look at my screenshot the TVE is TNTP and the Prime is TNTPHD. And it always picks up TNTP first.

What does your /settings json show for device priority?
http://127.0.0.1:8089/settings where 127.0.0.1 is the IP of your server

Higher number is higher priority.
Mine still has sources I've removed.
device.priority.1323AADB: "2",
device.priority.M3U-M3U2XfinityTVE: "1",
device.priority.M3U-n3uTest: "1",
device.priority.TVE-Comcast_SSO: "1",

Mine has sources I also removed ....

"device.priority.13147C7B":"5"
"device.priority.131A192A":"4"
"device.priority.TVE-Comcast_SSO":"2"

I did an Adjust Priority on my only source and saved. I then stopped and started the Synology package it runs in. It changed the priority numbers, but didn't remove the sources I had previously removed. I also see favorited channels from previous sources still in there.

device.priority.1323AADB:"1" <= My only source
device.priority.M3U-M3U2XfinityTVE:"1" <= Old, removed source
device.priority.M3U-n3uTest:"1" <= Old, removed source
device.priority.TVE-Comcast_SSO:"1" <= Old, removed source

device.favorites.M3U-M3U2XfinityTVE.1090:"true"
device.favorites.M3U-M3U2XfinityTVE.1190:"true"
device.favorites.M3U-M3U2XfinityTVE.12.1:"true"
device.favorites.M3U-M3U2XfinityTVE.12.7:"true"
device.favorites.M3U-M3U2XfinityTVE.1290:"true"
device.favorites.M3U-M3U2XfinityTVE.2.1:"true"
device.favorites.M3U-M3U2XfinityTVE.2.7:"true"
device.favorites.M3U-M3U2XfinityTVE.32.1:"true"
device.favorites.M3U-M3U2XfinityTVE.32.7:"true"

I gave up on it I Have removed the TVE Source my 2 primes should be enough. There is something wrong with their logic. It should not be trying to record from TVE with 6 Tuners available that have higher priority. The only way to stop this from happening is channel < 6000 .... but that defeats the purpose of having TVE as a last resort if all Primes are in use.... So it is easier to remove it than change all passes.

This worked as designed this morning it recorded Charmed from 754... 754,6036 is correct. banging my head against the wall.