Stream error during commercial break TVE

The client doesnt matter... they all do it.

no. i mean when there is abuffer to RW into, and often there is not as it seems to be cleared out when the stream closes, i can RW back but soon as i try to FF to present, it lock s up and u cant do anything more. same when if u pause it for 15 min, and try to seek past the commericals....u cant recover from it.

No what I'm saying is when you watch, you start it and then back up 30 seconds then leave it there.

and when the buffer hits the part where the comerical causes the stream connection to close, it just is a black screen until u close it out ad relaod

When the issue happens, the apps seek ability is non existent. the only thing operable is the quick guide. can not get the seek bottom bar to show back up.

This still a thing.
I find a couple other threads of users reporting this in the past, the early days of TVE being added to channels.

What is the cause of this? Can anything be done to fix it?

In another thread (FuboTV source) a user reports no issues using "optimum and verizon credentials". But i fail to see how, if that credentials were the case, that the 403 errors happen ONLY for the commercials and not the whole stream.

There are dozens of providers for TVE on the list in Channels, but the most popular ones, seem to be affected by this issue. I have personally tried it with my home setup Philo and Xfinty....and a different setup at my buddys home, who uses YTTV, Fubo, and Charter.

This is a regional issue that is only affecting some people. It has to do with how the streaming services inject local ads. Seems like they're trying to use the wrong urls for some ads which results in the 403. As someone else noted, the same problem was also happening in some of the streaming apps from the networks themselves.

At this point we're not sure how to address this since its happening randomly and is due to a bug on the streaming servers.

1 Like

To further add a data point: the errors seem to occur with Uplynk hosted streams. Uplynk is a Verizon-backed CDN for video streaming.

1 Like

Then why does someone with Verzion credentials have no issues then?
Or does credentials have nothing to due with this then?
So if that the case, it would affect ALL TVE credentials, no matter provider used in Channel, in affected region.

So, this has nothing to do with TVE credentials used then?
It is a "regional" issue that would affect ALL TVE login credentials no matter the provider?

And, as i stated previously, u already have a recover/reconnect process happening in recordings when this happens....why can't that same or similar process be applied to live streams....

I've been dealing with this problem off and on (mostly off recently) for a while now. And I know it's not a Channels issue based on previous troubleshooting.

The most aggravating part it having to manually restart the stream. If the client could put up a message that it was retrying and then do that it would make e life better from a WAF perspective at least.

@speedingcheetah, you beat me to the idea of trying to auto recover/reconnect the stream. It would seem like that would be a reasonable workaround.

1 Like

What kinda of "regional" area is affected? How large is regions defined?
I am in the Minneapolis,MN area. But my buddy is way down south in Texas.

FWIW, I'm in North Carolina and using FuboTV. Uplynk is the host referenced in my errors as well.

It's hard for us to know what regions are impacted and what aren't right now. I don't run into these issues at all in Seattle.

I was having this issue the past two days non-stop. Today, it seems to have been fixed by the network. No issues. I'm in AZ.

Still is a serious issue for me. Watching Doscovery now, its done it.
My mother was trying to watch DIY last night, and she says it was crashing like crazy.

I have a little bit of success if, as suggested above, to pause the channel when u first load it for like 30 secs, then let it play. It crashes a bit less, but still happens frequently.

1 Like

I've personally encountered this, but only occasionally, and not with any regularity to call it anything other than normal internet failures/network issues.

(For reference, this was using Charter/Spectrum and DirecTV credentials in the Los Angeles area.)

When i first was testing/setup Channels few months ago, maybe had some streams quite or freeze a few times rarely, never looked at the sever log to see the errors or anything.

But this is NOT normal, as it is now, ur lucky to go through 1 set of commercials without having to reload channel. Discovery and DIY seems really bad, as it crashes multiple times on every set of breaks.

I have not had many issues with my setup. But mainly I don't watch TV Live. I record everything and watch later. But on occasion I will watch a news channel or an Entertainment channel Live and have not experienced this issue much. I have just gotten use to hitting the left button or rewind button when this happens. Then I get no more issue unless I tune away from the channel and return later. For information on what my region is in-case the issue may pertain to that. Birmingham AL, My provider is Spectrum Streaming, with 200 mbps down and 12 mbps up. My DVR is setup on a Synology DS218+, since I started it in June of last year I have had few issues with exception everyone is talking about. My clients are Fire Stick 4K, Fire Cube 4K and Apple TV. I prefer Fire Stick 4K. Fire Cube is horrible. Apple TV was great till the latest beta, deplorable interface with it now. I have experienced Competitor "Emby" and its OK but not as functional as Channels DVR. I do like the ability to change Emby UI interface to my style and color, and can create my own channel Icon's. Hopefully Fancy Bits will in the future allow custom UI. I hate that everyone is having issues with their setup and hope they will get rectified.

If you're affected by this issue please update to the latest pre-release and see if there is any improvement.

Thanks. Just installed. I’ll let you know what I see. Anything in particular we should look for?