Stuttering on AppleTV4

Sorry I assumed they were managed. You can check out for port errors on your NAS at least. I have a QNAP so I can't help you but I would imagine that there is a system info app or similar that monitors your NAS hardware to give that info.

2 of them are wired. 1 ATV4, 1ATV4k, 1 Wifi ATV4. I'll check the TVos version on them.
Correct WiFi is faster...but according to what I've seen @tmm1 post in the past you don't need that much bandwidth for Channels and the 100Mb port is fully capable.

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:32:C1:3B:0B
inet addr:192.168.1.68 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: 2606:5d00:4800:d700:211:32ff:fec1:3b0b/64 Scope:Global
inet6 addr: fe80::211:32ff:fec1:3b0b/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:21838796 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:16765456 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:24080006984 (22.4 GiB) TX bytes:14065000467 (13.0 GiB)

Looks like mine has pretty solid as well. I really don't think its the NAS.

Correct. 100mb/s is more than enough. But I'd try it on WiFi just for the test.

Yup. Looks good.

I'm out of ideas, for now. Maybe try different ports on your switches? A different ATV on the same port(s)?

It would be nice if these IoT devices, such as the ATV, had a page that would report network stats, like that ifconfig output.

Is there anyway you can bypass one switch at a time to test? It could be one of the switches or a cable.

This happens on all the ATVs? Which switch is the router for wifi plugged into?

Yes the ATV4 is on 13.4.

Not saying this is the issue, but you may want to look at this thread regarding dropped frames and low on cache which both appear in your first few postings.

I looked at his logs and I see some similarity but I also see where his is having an issue connecting to his DVR. I don’t see a lost connection to my DVR.

Since switching my audio setting on the ATV4 settings my video/audio has been pretty stable

Did a little more testing tonight. My ATV4K is stable as can be....flawless. I did notice at the very beginning of the video, the video would play first and the audio would delay a split second like it was trying to sync up before playing. I didn't notice this on my ATV4. @tmm1 does that make sense?

Anyways I tested both of my ATV4s, one is wifi, the other one is what I've been talking about above that is wired. I'm seeing slight stutters on both. Not near as bad as the other night after I made that audio change. The ATV4k was snappy and responsive, perfect picture.

But you are changing the audio setting on the ATV itself? That would mean that the ATV is not processing the sound efficiently which makes no sense to me.

I did on the downstairs one. The quick test on the upstairs one that is on wifi, I didn't alter the setting. The interesting thing to me though is seeing that the 4K is buttery smooth while the ATV4s are not.

I’ll also add that I don’t have any stuttering on my 2018 iPad Pro

Can you elaborate on the stuttering? Does the timeline appear? Does the audio also stutter, or just the video?

I have experienced some frame drops on my Non-4K Apple TV, typically with 60fps content. I noticed some dropped frames in your logs too, but it might be a different issue.

Here’s the thread I created on that: Link

I haven’t noticed the issue in a while, but then we don’t use that Apple TV very often.

@scooter_scott What if you set the video quality to less than Original on the client? Do it in steps and see if it clears up at a specific setting.

I moved the client down to 8mbps for in home and the transcoder basically puked. The logs I have are nasty looking.

I also confirmed it’s not my synology. It’s most certainly the appletv 4. I changed my DVR back to my 2018 Mac Mini which has overkill horsepower and the stuttering occurred again. This is a client specific bug in my mind.

I pulled this from my ATV4:

2020-04-30 22:27:19.065 [vd] v: Codec list:
2020-04-30 22:27:19.109 [vd] v: h264 - H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10
2020-04-30 22:27:19.143 [vd] v: Opening decoder h264
2020-04-30 22:27:19.158 [vd] v: Not trying to use hardware decoding: codec h264 is not on whitelist.
2020-04-30 22:27:19.169 [vd] v: Using software decoding.

Should it be using hardware?

Software decoding is used on Apple TV.

Does this stutter issue happen on OTA channels?

What is the audio setup? Are you using optical? Or HDMI ARC? Airplay?

Yes I’ve seen it on both OTA and TVE.

Audio is thru hdmi arc. Samsung soundbar and Samsung tv. Been running this same setup since I started using channels.

Okay. And just to clarify, the recent diagnostics are with Apple TV audio set to Stereo or not? I'm confused at if and how much that setting helps what you're seeing?

The audio driver is reporting a sudden jump in position which is very strange. This makes the player have to drop video to jump ahead and catch up to where the audio is reported to be.

You can try the Audio Driver: Experimental setting which uses a newer Apple audio API which might have different behavior (and probably different bugs).

ATV4 and ATV 4K don't have a TOSLINK output.

Yes the appletv audio is set to stereo. It helped a little bit but it’s still a pretty significant stutter. Sometimes it goes on for 5-10 seconds. Sometimes just 1 second.

I tried experimental. It was unusable.