Turning off Descriptive Video Service turns off all Audio

Not sure if this applies, but sounds like it can be defaulted in Accessibilty Settings.
If you want videos to use audio descriptions by default https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205799

I've sent diagnostics.

Here are some photos of the screen.

When I untick "Descriptive Video Service" I get no sound whatsover. Both the regular audio and the descriptive video stops.

What is your location and what kind of hdhomerun? What channel(s) is this issue occurring on?

Can you make a recording from that channel and email the mpg file to [email protected]

@tmm1 I’m seeing same problem, exactly as described by @Maximus.

I’m in Sydney Australia and so far I’ve seen the issue on a couple of programs on our two public broadcasters, that is ABC and SBS. It’s a little elusive as not all shows have AD (Audio Description) broadcast, only certain shows and usually during prime evening hours (or repeats).

Last night I saw it again on a show called “Backroads” on ABC at 2000-2030 for example.

I’m a longtime Channels user on ATV and this problem only started in a fairly recent update to Channels I think, as I mainly watch ABC and SBS and it was not an issue over last couple of years. I’m mainly using an HDHomerun Quatro (DVB-T) on my ATV 4K, but I also have a couple of legacy HDHR3’s (DVB-T) that I quickly enabled on Channels last night and pretty sure issue is apparent on those as well?

I can confirm the only Audio track shown in pull-down Settings during these broadcasts is the AD one, and thus if you turn it off you get NO Audio at all ...

Please advise how I can capture what you need to trouble-shoot? No Channels DVR here obviously, only live TV.

See:

Thanks @tmm1, will get you a capture when I can. Does it need to be a show with Audio Description or will any show do?

Just realised this is a Channels DVR thread whereas I’m seeing issue on “plain old” Channels but guess that confirms it’s a common issue across the code?

Also confirmed Audio Descriptions is turned OFF in Accessibility settings.

Another clue may be that I see similar issues on my Channels app on iPad - for ABC and SBS the only audio track available now is “English (visual impaired)” which can’t be deselected. Other broadcaster’s channels show “English” as normal.

Thanks for your help!

I need a sample from the time and channel where the issue is present in the player.

@tmm1 Thanks Aman, will do when I can correlate what shows have Audio Description embedded and capture. I have a feeling this may have coincided with update to 3.2.43 a couple of weeks ago perhaps?

I'm in Australia. The channel is ABC in Sydney but also affects SBS from memory.

I'll attempt a recording tonight.

The version info for my HDHomeRuns

HDHomeRun DUAL
Model: HDHR3-DT
Device ID: 11109EFD
Firmware: 20170930

@Maximus thanks, that confirms my observations that it’s ABC and SBS Australia, and that it affects legacy HDHomeruns as well. I do notice your firmware is very old (my HDHR3-DT’s are on 20200225) so you could maybe consider an upgrade, but regardless that is not the issue.

@tmm1, @Maximus found these links to the Audio Description service for ABC and SBS.
Looks like they are both testing with launch imminent ...

@maximus, list of upcoming ABC programs with AD here:-

Hopefully that will help us both capture some clips for Aman.

1 Like

Aussie AD is the same thing as American DVS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_description#Descriptive_Video_Service
In Australia and the US it's usually broadcast as the secondary audio track.
Unfortunately in the US it's not always correctly identified in the guide information or the audio stream.

I have heard the DVS track in the US on some programs, but the audio track is identified as Stereo-Spanish, when it's actually DVS/AD.

You can view the audio tracks on a Channels DVR recording in the web UI under recordings. Pick a recording and click the gear dropdown item view details.
Screenshot_2020-06-15 Channels DVR

Slack of me not to add, but if you don't have Channels DVR, you can also get the same information from a recording you capture from your HDHR using this post Turning off Descriptive Video Service turns off all Audio, by using the free tool MediaInfo which I think is what Channels DVR uses
http://127.0.0.1:8089/dvr/files/2400/mediainfo.json where 2400 is the fileID of the recording.

Actually, I think they're using the data from ffprobe, which is part of Ffmpeg. (Also, Channels distributes a statically-linked copy of ffprobe with the DVR server; you can find it in the same directory as the DVR server binary and Channels' copy of comskip and ffmpeg.)

Will also try to get some samples tonight.

@Maximus

ABC HD is transmitting Audio Description tests from 8:00 PM - 9:30 PM approximately this evening.
"Foreign Correspondent" followed by "Australia's Ocean Odyssey"

SBS HD is transmitting Audio Description tests from 7:30 PM - 8:30 PM approximately this evening.
"Who Do You Think You Are"

Not sure if I'll be able to grab stuff tonight due to family commitments but you may be able to?

Here is analysis of the ABC Aust transmission sample I just took. Although this actual program does not have Audio Description, the 2nd track is active anyway and running same "main" audio as Track 1.
It would appear Channels is defaulting to Track 2 Audio - because Track 1 no longer shows up as selectable for whatever reason. I'll get proper samples when I can or hopefully @Maximus will beat me to it.

File
Name ABC Aust AD Bug Prelim Sample.mpg
Size 12.2 MB (12225640 bytes)
Kind MPEG video
UTI public.mpeg
Location /Users/stephenh/Desktop
Created 16 June 2020 at 16:50:44
Modified 16 June 2020 at 16:51:14
Downloaded From http://192.168.1.94:5004/auto/v20?duration=30
Container
ID 545 (0x221)
Format MPEG-TS
Duration 30 s 0 ms
Overall bit rate mode Variable
Overall bit rate 3 260 kb/s
FileExtension_Invalid ts m2t m2s m4t m4s tmf ts tp trp ty
Video
ID 2320 (0x910)
Menu ID 549 (0x225)
Format AVC
Format/Info Advanced Video Codec
Format version Version 2
Format profile High@L4
Format settings CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC Yes
Format settings, Reference frames 4 frames
Codec ID 27
Duration 29 s 520 ms
Maximum bit rate 1 629 kb/s
Width 1 920 pixels
Height 1 080 pixels
Pixel aspect ratio 1.000
Display aspect ratio 16:9
Frame rate 25.000 FPS
Frame count 738
Standard Component
Color space YUV
Chroma subsampling 4:2:0
Bit depth 8 bits
Scan type MBAFF
Scan type, store method Interleaved fields
Scan order Top Field First
Color range Limited
Audio #1
ID 2321 (0x911)
Menu ID 549 (0x225)
Format MPEG Audio
Format version Version 1
Format profile Layer 2
Codec ID 3
Duration 30 s 0 ms
Bit rate mode Constant
Bit rate 256 kb/s
Maximum bit rate 272 kb/s
Channel(s) 2 channels
Sampling rate 48.0 kHz
Frame rate 41.667 FPS (1152 SPF)
Frame count 1250
Compression mode Lossy
Delay relative to video -1 s 571 ms
Stream size 960 KB (7.9%)
Language English
Audio #2
ID 2421 (0x975)
Menu ID 549 (0x225)
Format AAC LC SBR
Format/Info Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity with Spectral Band Replication
Commercial name HE-AAC
Format version Version 2
Format settings Implicit
Muxing mode ADTS
Codec ID 15-2
Duration 29 s 653 ms
Bit rate mode Variable
Maximum bit rate 0 b/s
Channel(s) 2 channels
Channel layout L R
Sampling rate 48.0 kHz
Frame rate 23.438 FPS (2048 SPF)
Compression mode Lossy
Delay relative to video -1 s 373 ms
Language aus
Language, more info Visual impaired commentary
descriptor_tag_extension 6
Subtitles
ID 2322 (0x912)-801
Menu ID 549 (0x225)
Format Teletext Subtitle
Language English
Menu/Chapters
ID 263 (0x107)
Menu ID 549 (0x225)
List 2320 (0x910) (AVC) / 2321 (0x911) (MPEG Audio, English) / 2421 (0x975) (AAC, aus) / 2322 (0x912)-801 (Teletext Subtitle, en) / 5501 (0x157D) () / 5500 (0x157C) ()
Language / English / aus / English
Maximum bit rate 44000

I'm having trouble identifying the channel number and hence correctly entering a URL to capture a recording :frowning:

@Maximus no problem I've captured samples from ABC HD and SBS HD from my Quatro box.

@tmm1 Aman, I'm about to email you samples as requested.
Hope they are what you need to bring back our Track 1 :slight_smile:

Thanks @stephenh. Did you try to watch in Channels at the same time and the audio was still missing? When I try to play the recordings you sent on my Apple TV, I see both audio tracks. Is it possible the earlier AD tests had some issues and they're now resolved?