YouTubeTV TVE failing: This browser or app may not be secure

Someone else here reported they are using docker. I am not.

Docker version 2023.12.06.1555
Chrome version 117.0.5938.62
Running on Synology SAN

If you are running a NAS on an x86_64 processor and are running into the "may not be secure" error with YouTube TV, you can test something out by doing the following:

1. Update to the latest pre-release
  2. Go to Settings -> Advanced and enable New TV Everywhere Embedded Chrome Launcher
  3. Run
    curl -XPUT 'http://<dvr-ip>:8089/dvr/hacks/tve.chromium_tag/116.0.5845.14'
  4. Scan a channel that wasn't working or try to re-add YouTubeTV if it was not added
  5. Submit Diagnostics
  6. Report back here how it behaved

Once you are done testing, you can get back to the standard install by running:

curl -XDELETE 'http://<dvr-ip>:8089/dvr/hacks/tve.chromium_tag'
2 Likes

Some time ago I contacted CDVR support and asked about switching from Synology native to Docker. I was told both were the same binary. Perhaps that was true then, but it doesn't seem to be true now.

I am not OP, but I tried this and it did not work for me. I submitted diags ( fd05a3cc-7742-4d70-8e75-bbdad84745bc)

It would be great if I could get past the YTTV not secure error.

@camman595 Have you tried the route of running the DVR in Docker?

We are reaching the end of the line for potential solutions for this. We don't know exactly why Google is blocking the connections from Linux NAS-based systems. It isn't clear what the circumstances that make it not work for some people and work for others are. A lot of people have tried a lot of things, and a lot of times people will pass on secondary information that muddies the water of what has been tried and what has been successful.

2 Likes

Noticed a lot of that lately

Thank you.

could someone please post instructions how to setup channels DVR on Synology via docker?

I am curious what you mean by "and a lot of times people will pass on secondary information that muddies the water". That sounds like you do not want anyone to post "work around solutions" like I have done? I actually do software support for a mainframe software company and if our product does not support a particular feature I "always" tell my people to offer a work around solution if there is one. I know that in my case I really needed to get YouTube TV working with Channels (wife really like Channels) and I since the developers have so far failed to provide a solution (or even help with a work around) and have not replied to my ticket I found a solution and wanted to share with others that maybe did not think of it since Channels Developers are not providing a solution. Maybe I just miss understood what you meant by muddles the waters.....

The specific thing that would be helpful here is for someone who has actually had the DVR installed on a NAS and had this YouTubeTV error then install it in docker on that same system right after and have YouTubeTV authenticate just fine.

What I was meaning is that to diagnose this issue, having first hand accounts of what has worked for people will be important.

Docker instructions: Channels — Channels DVR Server

I provided an example of compose.yaml for Synology Container Manager : YouTubeTV TVE failing: This browser or app may not be secure - #62 by dfrap

Because network mode is host, setting ports to 8089:8089 is not necessary and causes a warning which can be ignored.

Here's using command line docker commands.
You can use the same port, settings and directory currently used by your Synology Package install.

1 Like

I got around this same issue by making sure I was logged in to the same YTTV account in Chrome as well as on the regular YouTube app on my phone. Once it started scanning for channels about 4x it popped up asking me in the YouTube app to verify my sign-in. Once I clicked yes each time it went on scanning. No issues afterwards.

1 Like

Unless we can get some way of accessing the Chrome browsser in Synology, we can't use TVE on YTTV.
if anyone has a way i can access the embed Chrome on Synology, it would be appreciated.

Have you tried using a docker container on your Synology. It's worked for others.

Trying to stay away from running Docker version.
I'm simply going to evaluate what channels i need and most likely leave YTTV.
Philo has most of what is broadcast and Fubo has move. Just wanted to see my options.

I was able to get docker working with YTTV. It reports Chrome Version: 120.0.6099.129. Whereas the version under the Synology NAS package was like 114. This must be the difference. Is there a reason that the Synology package cannot update the chrome version?

1 Like

We have an outstanding request for feedback for people who have had problems with the NAS package but success with the Docker setup to try this out and see if there is any improvement:

Hi @eric, I did as you requested above. First, I installed the Docker container on my Synology NAS and can confirm that this work (chrome browser version at like 120.xx.xx. I was able to add a YTTV source and used it for about a week.

Today, I turned off my docker container and started my Synology native package and updated to the current release. Chrome browser reported version 114. I ran the Curl command successfully and confirmed that chrome browser reported version 116. I attempted to add YTTV source as I did under the docker container. It failed again with the browser error “may not be secure”.

Diagnostics report below:
678b6a6f-f6a4-44fd-820c-16bc1e3046e8

Let me know if you need additional information.

I will move back to the Docker container for now.

Doug

2 Likes