Beta - Server Side Client Settings

While working on imports, we finally enable the ability to put them in the Trash. This upset many of you as you wanted to make sure they were always protected. We agreed! But you also wanted to be able to control this server side, not from the client's settings.

We thought on this for a while and thought, why not let you control ANY client setting from the server. So that's what we did!

You can now add settings, server side, that will override all of your client's settings. Want to make sure every client has Kids Section turned on? No problem. Want to turn off delete buttons for all your clients? You can do it!

Practically all of the client settings are available to do this.

How does it work?

When you add a setting to override, it will be used for each client. When the client boots up, it will read the settings and make that setting disable locally. So anything you override on the server, can not be changed on the client.

Is this a settings sync?

Nope, this is just you configuring certain settings for every client on the server.

What if I want some apps to have different settings?

After we put this through its paces, we'll be introducing the same thing on a per client level. This means you can configure each client specifically how you want it.

Clients will adopt the global settings first, then the client specific ones.

We just want to get this stable before we scope it to individual clients. But it won't take much to get client scoped settings working, all the hard work has been done.

For now, just DON'T use this feature if you need clients to have different settings.

Requirements

• Channels DVR Server prerelease (v2021.03.10.2332)
  • Channels for Apple beta from TestFlight (v3.10.2310)
  • Channels for Android beta (v203102309)

Feedback

If you have any issues, please post them in this thread.

20 Likes

Awesome. Great job.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Issue with sources (prerelease 2021.03.10.2332)

John this is brilliant. I haven't tested it at the client side yet. Actually will be able to test better when the client doesn't require the beta version but as a concept, its great to have server control. It gives it a boost in its usability
E: Can I just double check that the currently this applies to local as well as remote clients ie there is no differentiation

1 Like

Yep no difference.

The layout is interesting. For me I would just add override all the settings and then toggle them or set them as I need them. Just seems easier that way.
But that approach takes control over the client, so understand its function

I tested Global deletion set to none and I made sure the Client was stopped started it up and deleted a recording no difference it deleted it.

Are you on the latest TestFlight version? Also, when the setting is correct, the delete buttons won't be available at all.

You can confirm that server side settings are working by checking them on the client. They will be shaded and unavailable to adjust.

No android. Did not know it was specific to Apple.

It isn't, just make sure that its latest beta on android

1 Like

Thanks it is working now.

1 Like

This is SWEET!

Still seem to me missing a few settings...but so far seems its working well.

Missing items

Playback ... Advanced... Stretch to Fit / Surround Sound / Video Decoder.

I also do not know what "Match Content for Live TV" setting is...i never seen that in the app before.

These settings are set in the Video Player directly, so they did not translate to this framework. You'll want to adjust these per client.

This is a tvOS specific setting.

1 Like

For Apple TV clients, it allows for frame rate matching I believe.

1 Like

I don't see favorite channel syncing across clients, is that part of this?

Just wanted to say this is why I don't use a 'Channels Client'.
Too Confusing. Non-Parity.
From what I read of the OP the answer is no, but they're working on it?

I love Channels DVR for what it does best, DVR recording.

No this is settings.

Sources and channels (favorites) are the most frequently used "settings" I adjust on my clients. I really wish this could be included on your server side settings.

Well, those aren't settings. This feature is about settings.

1 Like

Great new feature, thanks! Playing around with it now. Found a little spelling error:

"No settings have been chosen to be overiden on your clients."