BETA: Smart Commercial Detection for TVE & Pluto

But if you stick to the release version then you are screwed as far as TVE.... so you have no choice if using TVE. When was the last time we had a release version of the DVR?

2 Likes

I'm sticking to my opinion that has been stated by the devs before.
The DVR prerelease versions are not Betas.
They will introduce new features in them before they go general release, but they are mostly bug fixes.
Just look at the release notes.

3 Likes

How far behind are the stable releases?

No Clue but it has been a while.

If you use TVE, there is no "stable" release branch. period.

It is moronic that certain users keep pestering others who are reporting issue or dislikes of the "pre-releases" and how changes or new things it affects their use of the software, to tell them "if you don't want issues, then move to Stable version."

You are telling people to use old code that is often not functional for TVE to work.
TVE has to be constantly updated and fiddled with.
U are telling people to swap new issues for old ones.

Stable = OTA users only

Pre-release= TVE + everything else (new features etc).

Personally, I wish they had a 3rd version, they did at one time on android clients, Alphas.

Keep the "Pre-Release" branch for major quick fixes of bugs, and TVE things, and Alpha (or just call it actually "Beta", since they use the term Pre-Release for their tier below Stable) for new feature testing purposes.

Just my thoughts, that i have wanted to post for some time, but withheld doing so, but the last few users posts here brought it up.
Its off topic for this thread, so expect them to move them, this is all i will say about the topic here.

1 Like

DVR, tvOS/iOS, Android & Fire TV Stable Releases Channels — Version History
DVR Pre-Release DVR Pre-Release Notes
tvOS/iOS Beta tvOS/iOS Beta Notes
Android & Fire TV Beta Android TV/Fire TV Beta Notes

Bravo is our family's most used TVE channel. Would love it if you could add the new commercial skipping protocol to it. I just switched over to this release today so will check out tonight's recordings tomorrow morning. Thank you!

1 Like

On a vaguely related topic the commercial skip on the ATSC 3.0 is really quite bad at this point. I leave it on but often it cuts quite a bit of the programming out.

It's hit and miss, due to comskip unfortunately

My most-watched TVE channels are ESPN and NFL Network.

Is there any chance this commercial detection can be made to work on in-process recordings so that it’s possible to “catch up to live”? This would be especially useful when watching sports but starting after the game has already started and/or pausing. The intent is to be caught up to live by the end of the game.

1 Like

Not sure about ESPN but I think NFL Network does insert ads into their player and not the stream itself, so I’m hopeful it works with this ad detection method. I’ve seen a lot of ads cut out and show the last 1-2 seconds of a different ad before returning to the game.

I've seen that on some TVE and even Pluto channels, both going into and coming out of a commercial breaks.
It's almost like the whole commercial break was originally national ads and then they insert some local ads but their insert timing is off.

1 Like

Commercial editor now works with the new detector.

3 Likes

Is there any documentation on how to use this?

I assume that if a segment is check-marked it plays, and if not check-marked it doesn't play.

What is the difference between "Local" and "Local (With Edits)"?

It shows 3 frames from the show. Are these first, middle, and last, or something else.

Results so far:

Discovery and Science are much better.

Fox News is somewhat better, but still not great.

Correct. Green is show, gray is ad. There is a legend/summary at the bottom.

The latter means you edited the results.

Yea it shows 25% 50% and 75%. The first and last frame are usually black so they're not shown.

Fox news doesn't use the new detector.

Currently it is working on:

• all discovery stations
  • all pluto channels
  • cnn
  • espn
  • nfl
  • some free streaming channels like buzzr

I will keep working on adding support, but it looks like it is not possible to implement for these:

• ABC, including disney, freeform, ngc, fx
  • FOX, including fox sports and fox news
  • NBC, including bravo, syfy, and other nbc.com/live stations
4 Likes

I’ve had a bunch of videos from BBC America in the last two weeks where no commercials were detected. Is it possible this was related. I haven’t watched the videos tbh just went in to try and edit them and got the error retrieving commercial message. I’m noticing that in the logs the episodes that I get that error message for have a new [ADS] in the log, which is different. But other videos on the same channel get the regular comskip stuff. So I’m not sure if it’s related or if there is another issue.

1 Like