Frndly TV for Channels

Casting is fully supported by Frndly and every time you want to cast, that is initiated from their app. I'm guessing that the URL they provide to the Google Chomecast contains all the technical information that is needed, maybe even including DRM info, if any. I don't know how it works in details but that would be my best guess.

If you go to the frndlytv website, the hallmark feed doesn't work. Sometimes it starts playing for a few seconds and then stops.

The docker feeds come from the website, so if it doesn't work on the website it won't work via the docker.

It's just that simple.

4 Likes

For me at least, the Hallmark channel works through my browser when accessing it through https://watch.frndlytv.com/guide, but does not work through my channels dvr app.

1 Like

Edit: Looks like I am getting all 3 feeds right now in Channels. Maybe Frndly finally figured it out. But I am not holding my breath. Some of those channels came back up last weekend for a few hours also.

1 Like

No joy here. Same errors as before.

Well that was all too brief a working period of time.

So I will now post the comment I was going to post before concerning the Frndly website live feed.

I was going to mention that Hallmark channels through the Frndly website also work for me too. A few days ago there was a second unrelated Hallmark on Frndly problem, which did cause problems on the website. The status page does says they corrected a problem with "interrupted feeds". Frndly corrected that issue, and now the Hallmark on Frndly website live feed runs fine (though still at the reduced bitrate I keep mentioning).

I think that the troubleshooting problem is that are two separate problems. There was a second issue, which has been resolved now. And the ongoing problem we are seeing here.

And because they (Frndly) think they fixed the issue, they (Frndly) have been ignoring my continued reports about this problem. And I can only report the bitrate problem to Frndly because they are only concerned with their official apps. They will not address issues with unsupported viewers. My hope is if they look in to the bitrate problem on their official apps that they will accidentally fix the problem we are seeing.

And of course with that big comment about how the website was working for me... The Frndly Hallmark live website has now started sputtering for me. I swear they have it in for me. So I am just going to shut up and cross my fingers. Lol.

Can anyone else confirm the Hallmark channels on Frndly working now. I have had all 3 networks working great in channels for the last hour. Plus the bitrates in the official apps are all back to 4.5Mbs (which is the first time in 2 weeks).

Update: I Just got this message from Frndly:

It's great hearing from you.

We appreciate you providing us with the screenshot. We are aware of the fact that the Hallmark channels are showing poor quality, and we are monitoring the situation closely.

There hasn't been any issue with the video quality as of yet. Meanwhile, we would appreciate it if you would sign out and sign back into your account if you continue to experience issues. We would also appreciate it if you could send us a short video illustrating the problem.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist you or if you have any additional questions.

Just tried, they are working for me in channels

1 Like

Yup. Looks like they're back up.

1 Like

Yep. All good here.

1 Like

Lol. They gave me a free week of service for the problem. So… Since I can not share, I guess I will at least be thinking of everyone here the week of Oct 2 - Oct 9.

1 Like

Thanks for keeping on them. You deserve the perk. Hallmark is now working. Thanks.

1 Like

Great job, Absenm. Thanks for your efforts!!!

Thanks very much for making this available!

I am running "Channels" on a TrueNAS server (for a long time), and just added the "Frndly" TV for Channels. The script works and Frndly is available through Channels.

I still have two issues:

1. The guide information for a couple channels (Dove channels) is complete (proper timing, program names, etc.) while the rest of the channels only get "generic" information (for example Pixl@10AM Pixl@11AM). I thought that perhaps I needed to wait for some period of time, so I changed the settings to have the guide updated every 6 hours and waited until the next day. It is still the same. Is there something else I need to do to get the actual program name and correct time spans for these other channels?

2. This is really more of a TrueNAS question, but thought perhaps someone has figured it out... "Frndly" works OK if I type the command into the shell (and run it in the background). But if I restart the "jail" (a virtual machine), it doesn't start on its own. So I put an entry in /usr/local/etc/rc.d so it would be restarted on boot. This fails and I think it has something to do with attempting to run a Python script (with arguments) via the daemon in rc.d (I also want to redirect the output to a log file). I "Googled" this and found some suggestions, but none of them seem to help. If anyone has solved this, some example code for the rc.d entry would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the python app!

I may be able to help with issue one. It sounds like you didn't use the double source method to setup within Channels, which is basically required to get the guide working properly. That information is kind of buried in this 500+ post thread. I mention it in post #388. First make sure you can get to your FrndlyTV for Channels Docker status page at http://docker_ip:8183/

FrndlySetup

This is why there are two sources listed. The instructions should be a little clearer. Lol.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick response!
That fixed the guide issue! I had scanned through the postings, but obviously didn't see the "important one"! It was interesting that I had to delete the single custom channel (rather than just edit it) as it wouldn't let me delete the XMLTV Guide Data URL that had been there (when I deleted it, then saved... then edited again, found that the URL had returned!)
Now to solve my rc.d script issue so FrndlyTV for Channels will start automatically when there is a reboot...
Thanks again!

That is interesting. There was an overall Custom Channels issue that I reported a few months ago that @tmm1 fixed. Maybe this is related to that issue I mention in...

Hey everyone,
Am I the only one having trouble with my FRNDLY Channels program guide? Mine seems to be empty... It was fine until a couple(few?) days ago...

I am having no problems. Since I've seen you on this thread during the past couple hundred posts, I am going to assume you are using the 2 source method and as you mentioned you just recently started having a problem.

They did add a Christmas Log channel a week or two ago and my numbering got messed up. So I manually reloaded the M3Us and redownloaded XML data on the source with the provided XMLTV url link. From the numbering on your screen shot it looks like that may be the issue. You might want to try that. You may want to restart the Frndly TV for Channels docker if it has been some time. Finally you may want to try Delete/Recreate Database from the Guide Maintenance settings dropdown box on the webui ChannelsDVR settings page.

1 Like