Provider - Xfinity

I know there are backups but I’ve never had to use them is there a way to revert back to before I deleted Xfinity TVE as a source? The reason I ask is because there were still about half on my channels that were working.

Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work. I noticed there were still some channelsdvr folders after uninstalling.

Do you recommend manually deleting everyhing?

Is there an OS that's better for xfinity users? I'll run anything in a VM if it prevents this issue.

Ok, nothing I tried worked so I was reading another post about DirectTV troubleshooting and came across this post recommending changing your password: Unable to add DirecTV as TV Everywhere Source? - #7 by Tom_Finney
Which made me think this might work for me as well (even though there were no pop-ups saying it was an issue). I tried it and I was able to add TVE as a source, getting me past the login error.

It may be worth adding this as a step in this forum as a suggestion.

I'll update once the scan is complete but changing the password at least got me back to my starting point.

Doing an Update Password in Channels DVR also clears the chromedata folder which could be what fixed it for you. It's a trick we Xfinity and Spectrum users have used since it was implemented in Channels DVR. Select Update Passoword and just enter your same old password to clear the chromedata folder.

Mentioned in the post you linked to

1 Like

Yes, I tried the update password trick yesterday to no avail. Actually updating my password with Xfinity did solve the login errors so it may be worth mentioning in the post.

Added

I updated password the other day but I still get the authentication failed errors. I sent logs previously. I could send them again if need be just very frustrating to have to deal with this.

At Xfinity, on the account you use for Channels DVR?
Update Password in Channels DVR doesn't change it at Xfinity.

Correct. I changed it on the Xfinity site. Then was able to add the xfinity back in. It’s wildly inconsistent. Sometimes the channels are authorized. Sometimes they drop off on the next rescan. I wish there was a real time window to see the actual attempts happen during rescan as they are being executed to see what exactly happens visually.

Ahh, OK, was getting hard to follow,

Yeah. Sorry about that. It’s just bizarre how difficult it is to get this working, which is why I’d love to see an actual “console” window with the browser opening attempting the login in real time when you rescan an individual channel.

Or does anyone know the direct TVE links for the different channels like AMC or ESPN? The apps on the Apple TV for AMC and ESPN work great mind you.

I consider TVE Beta and no longer rely on it for recordings.
The TVE Locals have always been Experimental and sometimes my experiments with them fail

The devs have done an outstanding job of whack-a-mole fixing the issues and are attentive 24x7.

I just reached my own personal conclusion that while it's nice having TVE in Channels it will not be my only source.

I realize that streaming is error prone, even streaming MPEG-TS streams over reliable TCP/IP connections via the Internet and using RF with OTA receivers over the airwaves or via RF Cable systems. The content holders have the good copy that we are trying to view/record via streaming,

2 Likes

This worked for me to get access to CNN after I lost it and nothing else worked. This tip should should be added more prominently in the TVE Tshooting tips.

Use this page to select Xfinity from the “provider” drop down it will show you all the channels Xfinity supports TVE with. Then you can click the link to use your Xfinity credentials to check and see if they work. Technically if the credentials don’t login/start the stream it is because you don’t subscribe to the channel but obviously there can be other reasons as well.

I agree with everything you’re saying. It is frustrating when things don’t work but it is usually issues with authentication changes on the provider side not channels and the developers are very responsive to try and get things back up and running if they are able.

Ok so we're making progress, kind of. Yesterday I completely uninstalled and reinstalled everything. Login still didn't work.

Today I updated to the latest pre-release. First few times I got a weird error saying "No login form found" Error 503. Restarted DVR and then login looked like it worked but I only have the D listers. CSPAN, Cheddar, Nasa, etc.

Popular networks show one of 3 errors

• No login form found
  • unavailable in current location
  • cable provider authentication failed

BTW, this is what happens whenever the login issue starts. Popular networks fall off the list and you're left with the D listers,

Agreed. TVE must be constant maintenance demand for them.

1 Like

Not sure if this matters but xfinity changed their site and the login URL is now a 2 step process. Enter user id and hit enter. Then loads new page (same url in address bar) and asks for password. Could that be the issue?

I am on XFINITY and TVE is working great ... even with the new logins. I run an automatic full scan at 6;00pm.

PS I never completely remove TVE.

Still making progress. Was able to add a few more channels some through a rescan and some by clicking on them manually. Everything seems to happen in chunks. Soweird.

The only thing I'm missing that I actually care about are the ESPN networks and some other sports channels. I can access some of those through their own app.