(Xfinity) TVE not working - Cable Provider auth failed / password reset

action=version product=Chrome/76.0.3805.2

I just opened Chrome (I rarely open Chrome as it is not my preferred browser), and it is showing "Version 89.0.4389.114 (Official Build) (64-bit)"

Edit: I use firefox on my desktop, but the server is actually on my Synology NAS (which does not have Chrome). I don't fully understand how all of that ties together.

I understand if this is the case. I think using the :no_entry_sign: to rid of less frequently watched channels will be more critical so that Channels DVR doesn’t authenticate certain channels unnecessarily. I’m personally going to use it on every channel except local regional sports networks since I have alternative TVE authentication with other sources that I can use for all other non-Xfinitiy exclusive channels.

I'm also using a Synology NAS an it simply never works for me anymore.

From the log:

2021/04/01 13:41:04.869540 [TVE] action=error_response type=Other error=net::ERR_UNKNOWN_URL_SCHEME
2021/04/01 13:41:04.871607 [TVE] action=version product=Chrome/76.0.3805.2 jsVersion=7.6.274 protocol=1.3 revision=@b96ff990aaa019fca0942aadc19c721d20cfa213
2021/04/01 13:41:04.871653 [TVE] action=mock

login fails and then I get an email to reset my password.

Can I get some followup on this one?

I have now waited 3 days since trying to log in to Xfinity for TVE (just in case I was on a timer) and it still does not work. The same login works for other websites and services connecting to Xfinity and Channels is the only service that refuses to connect and function.

The version of chrome bundled is too old (v76). One option is to reinstall under Docker which will upgrade the chrome to v89

Any way to update the Chrome version that Channels DVR installed on the Synology, like a new pre-release version or a new Channels DVR Synology pkg?

To switch to docker for TVE I would have to pull the new docker image, modify the run.sh script, map volume mounts to my existing native Synology pkg directories and restore from backup.

So Channels installed a non-visible version of Chrome into the Synology NAS to function, is now out of date, and cannot be updated without now installing it into Docker? As chDVRuser stated above, the Docker path is not a great solution. We need to be able to update the Chrome version Channels brought into the NAS if that is a requirement for functionality.

Do I need to uninstall Channels, do a full re-install, and then restore it?

I have uninstalled the Channels app from Synology DSM, and then reinstalled the app with a fresh install from the Channels website. My logs still show the old Chrome version, and Xfinity login still fails.

Is Channels via Docker the only way to update the Chrome version in the NAS? It seems hacky to have to go to docker and modify code compared to loading a fresh copy of a native app/package.

Delete/reinstall the NAS app won't make any difference.

I plan to update the chrome but it is challenging to do so in a way that works on all the various NAS models we support. Many run really old linux versions which don't work with the newer Chrome versions.

Docker is the only workaround available right now. That works because docker essentially requires a newer kernel and emulates a full linux distribution which has all the dependencies required for Chrome.

Is there a walk-though for people who do not use Docker? I was just trying to do it now, and cannot follow the installation. I put docker on the NAS, found the image, can tell it to make the container, but I have no idea what/where to place the code you show on the install page. Also, reading the forums, I see that the code can't be copy/pasted because other ran into issues with directories and other issues. Users having to modify code to make it work shrinks the user base to a very, very small number.

The docker command code is not needed if you use the Synology GUI to make the container.

We have a guide up for QNAP's version of Docker here: https://getchannels.com/docs/articles/troubleshooting/wont-run-on-qnap/#alternative-install-channels-dvr-server-inside-container-station

A similar guide for running the pluto docker on Synology is here: Pluto TV Docker Help

Have this issue again with Xfininty. Cable auth failed.
Have not gotten a pass reset email yet though.

Edit: there it its...the reset email. sigh.

this time i changed it to something different, just in case they keep triggering it cause its an old password, and i used the update password thing in Channels. still won't authorize, see no point in deleting the source and re-adding it, as if it won't auth one channel, it won't work for any of them.
guess i wait 48hrs and see....

Last time this happened they updated the Chrome version and it pretty much immediately fixed it for most.

Is that what the problem is again?
Is Comcast always requiring the latest version of Chrome or something?

Is it going to have to be like they have to update the Chrome version every week or something?

I'm experiencing issues again too, though interestingly only with the Discovery Family Network of channels. Other things like Own, Hallmark, etc that aren't Discovery channels are fine. Interestingly, I can access them in Chrome on my computer (in version 88). I hope we don't lose the TV everywhere completely again.

Thanks for confirming that, was sounding like I was stupid or something. I managed to fix them with the whole pw change, removing and readding xfinity a few posts back, not sure if you want to take those drastic measures until necessary (it will be eventually).

Also, I found the status of the other channels with the checkmark, looking all a-ok weren't ok, I would rescan some of the ones that say they work and it would come up with the error on those too. Not all, but some.

I hate to do that if until I have to, it always makes me nervous that I won't get my channels back. I'm mooching off a family member for the log in and I'm on a VPN so that just adds to the complications with me. I do have my own sign in so hopefully they won't be getting a password reset email. I've just skipped the last couple of things on any of those channels for the next few days, so hopefully it'll work out before then. If not, I'll deal with it on the weekend as long as everything else keeps working.

I too, am sharing logins. My password was still working so I just signed in and changed it, it hadn't gotten to the denied access, need to use the primary account to fix it.

I'm looking into this now. Chrome v89 is available in the v2021.04.07.2050 prerelease for Intel-based NAS. To update chrome, you must click-and-hold the Sign In button:

• click add source
  • select dish (or any other provider you don't have)
  • enter test/test for user/pass
  • click-AND-hold the Sign In button for one second

You can also do it via the API:

curl -XPOST http://x.x.x.x:8089/providers/tve/chrome

I tested on my QNAP and it works. It may require some tweaks on Synology so I would appreciate testers.

I have issues with TVE-Xfinity. I have removed the source, reset password, rebooted my Windows 10 computer that has the Channels DVR server installed on it. I did all of that last night. I just tried to add the TVE-Xfinity source again with the new password I still get the "not in subscription" error. I can log into my Xfinity account with the same credentials so I have no idea what is the issue.

Can you help?

Thanks,
Chuck