NEW: Channels for Android runs on Windows 11

I'm not seeing the DVR app in the Amazon app store, was it removed again? I'm in the UK FWIW - I can see the basic HDH version

Amazon pulled it again and is requiring some changes

Thanks, Amazon :roll_eyes:

Disregard, I see Amazon Pulled it in a previous post.

Successfully installed Amazon App Store on my Windows 11 PC (Home Edition). However, when I search for Channels all I get is the $24.99 paid version to work with the HDHOMERUN tuners. Any ideas why I can't see Channels DVR?

1 Like

Where were the instructions on how to sideload it?

1 Like

See:

Just tried to run Channels on Window 11 using the Amazon provided Android app (paid version of course), and sadly it does not work. Firstly the Android subsystem overall is slow (despite plenty of memory and a 5950X), but opening up any channel to watch whether SD or HD, it shows 1 frame and then freezes. I should add that I don't use the DVR functionality or even subscribe to it.

Has anyone else managed to get things working under WIndows? I hate the Silicon Dust app and really prefer Channels. I've also paid yet again for the app so keen to try and get things working so any tips/hints would be much appreciated.

1 Like

You have more than enough system. Check this setting:
/playback/advanced/video decoder

You must select software. This is probably your problem

1 Like

Downloader by AFTVnews dose not appear to be in the Amazon App Store. Any other suggestions how to side load?

1 Like

I have the same problem testing it on my new Windows 11 PC

If https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0BP507 doesn't work, have you tried the other methods (adb or GUI helpers)?

1 Like

ADB sideloading did not work would not connect as WAS has it's own IP.

I installed a Version of WAS from Github that Includes the google play store. I was surprised it play on the Ace Magician mini PC. N95

Thank you,

I took your lead with a deferent approach and installed BlueStacks.

Download Pie 64-bit (Supports Hyper-V)

It requires Hyper-V and thus Windows Perfectional

After installing, if you get into a loop where it's trying to enable Hyper-V, Right click and chose run as administrator.

While the Google Play Store is available, it did not find Channels. Open Chrome and search from there and it will find channels. Install from there. After you launch channels, you will need to change the playback method. /settings/playback/advanced Chose Software.

Enjoy!

Morris

Wow, two fairly awful choices. Installing something from Amazon. Which I won't do. And bluestacks which acts a lot like malware. UGH

How dose bluestacks act like malware?

It was my perception of odd things that started happening after I installed it a few months ago. Two weeks into it I uninstalled it and the odd apps that had acted wonky and the internet speeds went back to normal. When I had put wireshark on it I found we starting contacting hundreds of addresses which were in listed as being in russia and other asian countries I try not to frequent. After that I determined it wasn't something I wanted installed on my pc. -Bill

You can side load the apk without Amazon or blue stacks involved.

I have not found a reasonable way to sideload into Win 11 Android. All the apps that make it easy are now blocked.

That sounds like there was some malware installed. Not my experience and I'm sorry to learn that happed to you Bill.

I was able to sidelode Channels onto the Windows Subsystem for Android (WSA) using:

1. Download APK from Channels server to my local download directory.
  2. Share local download directory with the WSA using Advanced Settings, Experimental.
  3. Installed File Manager for FireTV (developed by Dworks) from the Amazon AppStore.
  4. Selected APK in the File Manager and install the listed APK.

The Microsoft Store also lists some WSA Sideloader apps, that may also work for this purpose. But I didn't try them. I also sideloded the Channels recommended Downloader app from AFTV, hopefully making it easier to sideload other APKs if desired.

The Channels app seems to work very well for me using WSA. But I don't use it often, mainly just for testing.