YouTubeTV TVE failing: This browser or app may not be secure

@dred

Thanks for the suggestion! I was feeling a bit tied to YTTV because of Sunday Ticket but I see DTV is offering a promotion for that. I’ll have to give this some thought.

1 Like

It's not the version of chrome - it appears to be related to the automation through puppeteer that Google identifies and then blocks as noted by @tmm1. I can log in no problem when I load a session myself but when it loads via the node.js I am unable to log in

If you are having badissues with YTTV looks like some created a docker for Fubo.
The offering is nice andTVE seems to work.
if you sign up you only need the Elite package.
I've moved a lot of these TVE problems over to ADB Tuner with my HDMI Netowkr encoders and ONN box.
I tried YTTV and Hulu live.
both services work but YTTV always plays great with video etc.

1 Like

I am getting this same error about missing package. i tried to set a recording with no luck.

so I tried to remove YTTV from sources and the re-add it again. but now I am getting an error "blocked by google. this browser may not be sure"

1 Like

Using the forum search you'll see it's a known issue.
https://community.getchannels.com/search?q=%22may%20not%20be%20secure%22%20order:latest

And here is why

1 Like

I had forgotten this seems to happen every year.
Here's a post from a year ago.

1 Like

My solution to the problem: Created new google account with 2FA turned off.
Invite new google account to existing account (one with Youtube TV subscription of course).
Open Google App not Chrome on tablet or phone and have it ready. Signed in with older account (Family Manager). Add your Youtube TV source in Channels. Use the New google account user id and password.
Check google app on your phone or tablet when a prompt "Are you trying to Login". Click on "Yes it's me"
This may happen serveral times, just keep an eye on the Google App for the prompt.

1 Like

I've used this solution and my hopes are that you got to the notifications fast enough.

1 Like

If you’re on an x86-64 based NAS, please try the latest pre-release. Go to Support -> Troubleshooting, and click "Click here to upgrade Chrome".

I grabbed the latest pre-release and updated Chrome. The system seems to be scanning faster.
I'm going to try some TVE to see how it goes.
Hopefully, it will just work.

1 Like

Youtube worked for me but not Diredtv stream :unamused:-(

YTTV is working here however, TVE Failure isn't a matter of if but when.

1 Like

tried this and i never get alert in the app but source add fails captcha

I decided to switch from DTV Stream to YouTube TV this weekend and ran into this issue. I am on Synology NAS (intel) and sent DIAG to Developers and verified all is GREEN for Google Chrome etc. I have not heard back from Developers yet. Does anybody here know if this issue is simply a LINUX Problem or NAS Problem? Someone said it worked on a macOS but then I read that maybe this is random? Really need to get a resolution by DEC 6th which is when my DTV Expires. I do not watch a lot of LIVE TV any more and my wife really loves this Channels UI. So, of course she could use the YouTube TV App but not a preference.

1 Like

hmm i'm also on a synology install and i cant get yttv or directv to work suddenly
i know there was a synology update not too long ago but i doubt thats it the connections seem to get to where theyre going and fail

Another data point. Unable to add YTTV on a Synology install just as I was unable to add Hulu.

With the latest updates, I'm getting a captcha every time I try. I really wish there was a way to respond to the captcha. I do not see any notifications from Google app that I can respond to.

Is there any reason to try switching Channels to Docker?

If you can spin up a Channels DVR :tve docker container, just add one and try it out.
It can coexist with whatever you're currently running.
The current Channels DVR :tve docker container uses Chrome v117
The current Channels DVR Synology package install uses Chrome v114

It's worth a try to see if the difference in Chrome versions matters.
Might also be some data the servers see from the headless chrome, like OS, or?
According to @tmm1, they're using AI to determine what to block and only they know what that is. They also control chrome and yttv.

so just setup the docker channels instance on the synology instead of the synology package to test?

Could do it two ways.
#1 Leave the Synology Package running and install the docker using a different port and pointing to a different DVR recording folder.
OR
#2 Stop the Synology Package, install the docker using the same port and DVR recording directory as the Synology Package used.

If you use #2, you can Stop the Docker Container and Start the Synology Package, or Stop the Synology Package and Start the Docker Container and either one will record to your existing directory.
Before switching from one to another, backup, then switch, then restore. This keeps the settings and current library items synced between the Synology Package and the Docker Container.

In either case, when installing the Docker Container you'll want to use /volume1/docker/channels-dvr
Here's what I did.
Backup your current Channels DVR Server.
Change this line to use your actual DVR recording directory (mine is /volume1/ChDVRtve)
--volume /volume1/ChDVRtve:/shares/dvr
And change this line to your correct time zone
--env TZ=America/Los_Angeles

create directory
 /volume1/docker/channels-dvr
docker pull fancybits/channels-dvr:tve
docker run \
 --detach \
 --env TZ=America/Los_Angeles \
 --name=channels-dvr \
 -p 8089:8089 \
 --restart=unless-stopped \
 --device /dev/dri:/dev/dri \
 --volume /volume1/docker/channels-dvr:/channels-dvr \
 --volume /volume1/ChDVRtve:/shares/dvr \
 fancybits/channels-dvr:tve

Restore from the latest backup you made.
Then in the Channels web UI you set the recording directory to /shares/dvr when running the Docker Container, which maps to the actual directory on the Synology you record to.
You would just have to delete and recreate the guide database (if it doesn't do it for you).

Of course you want to make sure you update to latest prerelease on each one of the two.