Trying to figure out what "Channels" is

OTT (Over-the-top) providers, like Sling, DirecTV Now, PS Vue, Philo, etc., offer credentials that work with TV Everywhere providers, too.

If this is correct, seems like Sling is not a good choice for TVE.

Agree it is a bit confusing and those sticky posts haven't been updated for six weeks.

Here are the topics under the TV Everywhere category for OTT providers.

Direct TV

Direct TV Now

Dish Network

FuboTV

Hulu Live TV

Philo

PSVue

Sling TV

YouTube TV

1 Like

Sure. And you’re free to lease and use their boxes for every tv in your home.

The purpose of Channels is to reduce the need for leased hardware and alternate inputs on your TV, in order to simplify TV watching via streaming boxes that most people already have attached to their TVs. This both saves money and makes their families happy by having a modern and friendly way of watching and recording traditional TV.

It puts their live TV and recorded television right next to their Netflix and YouTube.

To me, at cursory first glance...I interpret the basic info points (TVE)
to indicate that you may not be able to use “Sling” as a source for “Sports” recordings: like: MLB, ESPN.

Maybe you could “Live Stream”, but not “Record”.

Or maybe none at all?

Try: searching or requesting in “Provider - Sling” for more info.

Edit: I type too slowly...lots of crossposting. Sorry

I think is one of the most limited TVE providers.. but it does say ESPN is supported. I think the short answer to you question is that you would be able to record any local stations you can get from an antenna, as well as a significant amount of your SlingTV lineup (although not everything). You can see which channels are supported by going directly to the channel’s own website. See if you can access a live stream using your SlingTV credentials. If so, Channels will likely be able to access and record it.

1 Like

Thank you for effectively “closing” this Discussion...and RePosting your latest question.

You still need a cable box with a DVR for me it would cost $12 a month for 1 tv.

I think he only wants to use TVE and OTA.

That's what I do, Spectrum Streaming and OTA

IIRC, he doesn’t want “Cable”.